WEEKLY UPDATE – April 23, 2018
Stocks posted moderate gains last week, as the S&P 500 added 0.52%, the Dow increased 0.42%, and the NASDAQ rose 0.56%. International stocks in the MSCI EAFE followed suit, gaining 0.41%.
We received numerous new data updates last week, and most provided positive news for the economy. Retail sales, housing starts, and industrial production all beat expectations and increased in March. 
Amid last week’s primarily positive data updates, two key occurrences also affected markets:
What Is Ahead
- 1 batch classic pasta dough
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ pounds ground pork
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Shaved ricotta salata, for serving
- Use a rigatoni dial from a pasta press as directed to prepare pasta dough and tubular shapes.
- Boil water in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- At the same time, heat oil and garlic on medium heat for 30 seconds in a large skillet.
- Add pork into the skillet. Season with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Cook while breaking up pork into pieces until it is no longer pink, 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste and stir, 2 minutes.
- Add wine. Simmer until the smell of wine disappears, 5 minutes.
- Add parsley.
- As pork continues to cook, cook pasta until it is firm, 4-6 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Toss together with ragu. Top with ricotta salata if desired.
Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping 
Strengthen Weak or Injured Knees
Taking a knee is more than a political statement. Strong, functional knees make walking, running, and moving around easier. You can incorporate knee-strengthening exercises into your routine. If your doctor gives you the green light, here are 6 exercises to help put the hop and the skip back in your step:
- It takes 1,850 gallons of water to produce a burger. Most of that water is used to grow grain to feed cattle.
- Cattle ranchers frequently clear large swaths of tropical forests for pastures.
- Ranching has led to 60% of the Amazon’s deforestation.
- Two football fields of rainforest are destroyed to produce one head of cattle.
At least 100 billion gallons of water would be saved if every American refrained from meat for 1 day.
Tip adapted from Conservation International 
The Retirement Wealth Management Group
7900 Kirkland Court
Portage, MI 49024
Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.
Investing involves risk including the potential loss of principal. No investment strategy can guarantee a profit or protect against loss in periods of declining values.
Diversification does not guarantee profit nor is it guaranteed to protect assets.
International investing involves special risks such as currency fluctuation and political instability and may not be suitable for all investors.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 (S&P 500) is an unmanaged group of securities considered to be representative of the stock market in general.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted average of 30 significant stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ. The DJIA was invented by Charles Dow back in 1896.
The Nasdaq Composite is an index of the common stocks and similar securities listed on the NASDAQ stock market and is considered a broad indicator of the performance of stocks of technology companies and growth companies.
The MSCI EAFE Index was created by Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) that serves as a benchmark of the performance in major international equity markets as represented by 21 major MSCI indices from Europe, Australia, and Southeast Asia.
The 10-year Treasury Note represents debt owed by the United States Treasury to the public. Since the U.S. Government is seen as a risk-free borrower, investors use the 10-year Treasury Note as a benchmark for the long-term bond market.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice and are not intended as investment advice or to predict future performance.
Past performance does not guarantee future results.
You cannot invest directly in an index.
Consult your financial professional before making any investment decision.
Fixed income investments are subject to various risks including changes in interest rates, credit quality, inflation risk, market valuations, prepayments, corporate events, tax ramifications and other factors.
These are the views of Platinum Advisor Strategies, LLC, and not necessarily those of the named representative,
Broker dealer or Investment Advisor, and should not be construed as investment advice. Neither the named representative nor the named Broker dealer or Investment Advisor gives tax or legal advice. All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, we make no representation as to its completeness or accuracy. Please consult your financial advisor for further information.
By clicking on these links, you will leave our server, as the links are located on another server. We have not independently verified the information available through this link. The link is provided to you as a matter of interest. Please click on the links below to leave and proceed to the selected site.